These tasty bars combine the best parts of fudge and pie… Chocolate and crust are probably the my two favourite things and this combines them both into one delicious treat! I brought these to a friend’s baby shower and they were a hit – I even got a recipe request, the best kind of flattery.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups vegan margarine, cubed
1 can of coconut milk*
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups semisweet dairy free chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350oF. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking pan and and line it with parchment paper.
2. In a stand mixer**, mix flour, almond flour, sugar, salt and margarine cubes on high until it’s crumbly.
3. Press about 1 1/2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan so it’s evenly covered.
4. In a medium saucepan, stir together the coconut milk, chocolate chips and sugar until the chocolate is melted.
5. Remove from heat and stir in walnuts.
6. Pour filling over into your prepared pan to cover the crust.
7. Crumble the remaining crust mixture over top. Squish it together a bit to leave it in chunks.
8. Bake for 35 minutes.
9. Let cool, then chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
10. Once chilled and set, lift the parchment paper to release the bars from the pan. Cut, serve and try not eat them all at once.
*Use a high fat (I used 26%), not a light coconut milk, to make sure the bars set up and are nice and creamy, not watery
**You can also use a food processor or a pastry cutter