I was looking for something that would be perfect for making a head of time for lunches and quick meals on the go. Usually I go with pasta salad, but lately I feel as though I’ve been eating way too much pasta. This salad is healthy and hearty, sure to you fill up and can be served hot or cold.
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups uncooked quinoa*
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 bay leaf
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
5 tbsp fresh lime juice (1 lime)
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 clove garlic, finely grated
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, julienned
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can black beans
1 cup corn
1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
2 carrots, grated
1. In a medium pot, start to bring the vegetable broth to a boil. Add the quinoa right away, to the cold broth. Adding the quinoa before the water is boiling will help prevent the quinoa from being mushy once cooked.
2. Peel a clove of garlic and smash it with the side of your knife.
3. Put the smashed clove and bay leaf into the pot with the quinoa to add flavour during cooking.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the EVOO, lime juice, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, grated garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk together and let sit. This will be the ‘dressing’.
4. In a medium sauce pan heat the EVOO and add the onions. Season with salt. Cook the onions until they are starting to caramelize.
5. Add the garlic and cook until onions are turning golden.
6. Add the black beans (strained and washed) into the pan along with the corn.
7. Add the cooked quinoa.
8. Toss in the cumin-lime dressing, cilantro and grated carrots at the end.
9. Serve hot or cold.
* I used a mixture of regular, black and red quinoa.