Since learning that I’m lactose intolerant I’ve been craving something super cheesy, probably because I can’t have it. But thanks to Chloe Coscarelli’s ‘Best-Ever Baked Macaroni and Cheese’ I don’t have to miss out on the decadent goodness that is Mac and Cheese and the best part is I won’t feel like I’m dying afterwards! I made a couple alterations like adding some chili paste to add a little spice.
1 package fusilli or elbow macaroni
1/4 cup vegan margarine
1/3 cup flour
3 cups soy, almond or rice milk
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 tbsp. tomato paste
2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. chili paste
2 cups broccoli florets (1 bunch of broccoli)
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1. Start boiling a large pot of salted water and preheat the oven to 350oF.
2. While that is heating start the cheese sauce. Melt the 1/4 cup of butter and add the flour and whisk together and cook down for about 5 minutes to a paste.
3. Add the non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast flakes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili paste. Bring to a boil. Once it’s boiling reduce heat and simmer to thicken. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
4. Once your water has boiled add the pasta. A couple minutes into cooking add the broccoli so they finish cooking together.
5. Drain the pasta and broccoli and toss in the sauce.
6. Transfer the mac to a corning ware/glass baking dish or a 9×13 baking pan.
7. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and bake for about 30 minutes or until to breadcrumbs have browned.